Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Importance of the Cross-train

As I last noted, this week I am taking time off from running. And not just running, but from wearing shoes altogether! Sometimes I tend to vent the hardships of marathon training without mentioning the positives. So, because I am wearing sandals this week, it forced me to rethink my training and as a result, reminded me of a very, very valuable tool. The cross-train.

When I trained for my first 10 K race, I did it without running a single step for the three months leading up to race day. I had started off training, and then right away had started feeling sharp pains in my bum knee (I have a bum knee, back and hip flexor...why I am a runner I have no idea). I spent the next three months in spin class, swimming laps in the pool, and weight training. Spin class taught me to get my heart rate up high and improved my cardiovascular ability and endurance. Laps in the pool strengthened my core, my shoulders and again my lung capacity. Weight training strengthened the muscles around my knee so that it was better supported as well as improving all over strength and muscle tone.

On race day, I ran every inch of the 6 miler (10 K) and did it feeling strong and pain free.

Many race training plans include different types of running, but no true cross training days. My plan for the marathon doesn't include cross training at all. It includes hill running, sprinting, long runs, tempo runs and rest days. All of those things help to work out different muscles and improve different aspects of my running. However, I have noticed the last month that I am losing muscle tone as I increase mileage and run longer and slower. Plus I am starting to get bored with running even though I trust I will never truly lose my love of the sport. There is a greater pressure now as the race draws near to take care of my body and to avoid injury and fatigue, and I believe now is a great time to reinstate some different workouts into my week.

In particular, this week I am doing yoga, pilates and barefoot plyometrics, as well as a whole lot of lunges. My heart rate is getting up there, I am sweating, but also improving my muscle tone, core and flexibility - things I know I under-emphasize. If my ankle is healed enough by Saturday, I am planning to do my 19 mile run again - this time with my hubby on his bike beside me (I will just call him my Gu and Water-boy). :) I actually think I will be able to do it, and will probably enjoy the run more.

I find myself seeing the bright side of my heel injury this week. The three of us have also been collaborating on cute "Girls on the Run" T-shirts this week which has reminded us of one of the fun perks of running a marathon with a group. I am glad for those reminders!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great reminder. I should put forth the effort of cross training but I swear nothing is as easy as stepping out for a run.

    ReplyDelete