Saturday, October 8, 2011

Long Road to Marathon


I don't remember reading anywhere that a Marathon is really, really long. Okay, I am sure I did read something like that somewhere, but I think my brain didn't want to register it so that I would start the journey.

Here is what I mean. The thought of finishing a 26.2 mile run sounds so great. It is an amazing accomplishment, worthy of the bucket list, all bragging rights and back-patting. We make it our goal, looking forward to the end and the great feeling you will have when it is all done. But somehow the reality of training doesn't register - not completely, anyway.

I remember my first half marathon, where the last 2 miles was very difficult for me. I refused to walk, but therefore dragged my feet in a little shuffle-run, while the speed walkers passed me by. I finished at a jog and then promised myself I would NEVER run 13.1 miles again because it is just plain stupid. At the time, my protective (or in-denial) brain forgot to remind me that if I was going to run a marathon one day, I would indeed have to run 13.1 miles again. In fact many, many times.

I calculated the number of miles my training schedule has me running in the 16-week plan. A total of approximately 489 miles, give or take. To get to the starting line at the Athens Marathon, I first need to RUN nearly 500 miles. That is even farther than Phidippides, the first ever marathon runner. He ran 100 miles to Marathon and then ran 25 plus miles from there to Athens to announce victory against the Persians, and then he died.

Granted he probably didn't spread that first 100 miles out over several weeks, and he may have not properly hydrated or had a sufficient number of Gu's in his little runner's fanny pack. But I can't pretend I am not a bit worried, because 500 miles is a long road to Marathon, Greece. And that doesn't even include that last little bit, the 26.2 mile finish!

For those of you contemplating a marathon, be warned. You will have to run a lot to prepare for the race. The 26 miles will start to feel like a small blip on the radar when you consider the number of miles you will run to get there. The accomplishment is in the journey to the start-line, the finish is really just where you get to pick up your finisher's medal. Yesterday I ran 18 miles in a little more than 3 hours. I spent 3 hours of my life running around my town and there were no water stations, no cheering bystanders, no beer garden and free goodie bags waiting at the end. It was just my house, dinner waiting to be made, kids to be picked up at school, errands to run. There is so little fanfare for those first 500 miles, it just seems wrong. 18 miles is HUGE.

I counted up and I now have 169 miles left to go of my 500. And less than 5 weeks to run them (in fact most of it happens in the next three weeks!). I have always been a destination gal more than a journey gal. I don't stop and smell the roses, I just want to get to where I am going and say "been there, done that." But in training for this Marathon I am gaining appreciation for the journey, mostly because it is not a quick one. Not a short one. Yes, I am excited to cross the finish line and get my finishers medal and free bagel. I will most likely immediately pull out my to-do list for the day and make a big point of crossing "Marathon" off the list. But I think on November 13, 2011, it will be the journey that I will be most proud of. I am not there yet, however, and still have to get moving on my 169...wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. LOL the journey will surely be worth more than the bagel and even the medal. So many miles of mental and physical strength - not to mention spiritual! Plus the trip and getting to do this with your Mom and sister! Immeasurable value!

    ReplyDelete