Friday, October 14, 2011

Ramblin' On

One month from today, I will be a "former marathoner". I have to admit, the "former" part is what keeps me going during those painful long runs. I just imagine my friends-especially those who are my age (57.5 years)-saying "I could never do that", "Wow-a marathon, I'm impressed!"- you get the idea. Then I quickly ask the Lord to forgive me for my lack of humility..... I also ask Him to help me do this, to be a blessing to my girls, and to enjoy the experience.

I love to travel. I have been extraordinarily blessed to have had some fabulous experiences with my children- Pro Bowls in Hawaii when my Seahawks quarterback played, Christmas Eve in Bethlehem, getting lost in Stanley Park. I've also seen giraffes in the African wild with my son-in-law, New Year's Eve in London as Big Ben struck midnight.... This trip to Athens will be added to my list. Somehow, I think that this one will be a little different. Yes, I will be reading the "things to do in Athens" forum on Trip Advisor, yes, I will write lists of "what to pack" and yes, I will plan fun activities for the trip. But-knowing the pain, sacrifice, and commitment that has characterized the road to Athens somehow elevates this trip to another level. Imagining entering the stadium in Athens and joining my two little girls in celebrating this feat surpasses all other vacation planning for me...

I read in Runner's World a term for chubby runners, but I can't remember what it was. Whatever it is, it would describe me. Sometimes when I tell people that I am training for a marathon-because my training book says be sure and tell everyone-they look at me like I am at least delusional and at most a (big fat) liar. Can I help it if the Menopause Fairy has bestowed upon me a zero metabolism? For the most part it doesn't bother me because I know I am fit, but I do kinda wonder when I am at the starting line in Athens if people will think I'm an imposter....

"It's a marathon, not a sprint". People always say that when they're giving you permission to take your time or to not worry about immediate results. I've always thought that those words are intended to decrease anxiety, to relax... Really?

So these are a few of my running ramblings.... 18 miles this weekend-I'm sure I'll have some more to share...

2 comments:

  1. Ahh got a little teary eyed at the "two little girls" part, Mom. Something about being considered someone's kid, even when raising your own, that is really comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have had such memorable trips!!! And this one will be the memory of a lifetime, no doubt!

    I recently met another woman who is in her 50's and not built like your average marathoner. You would not look at her and assume she's even healthy. But she is. She is strong, she is healthy and she runs marathons pretty often! She just finished the Portland one last weekend. Not every runner looks like a runner. Look at Prefontaine. I just watched that movie the other night and in it he talks about how he's not built like a runner with his short legs. And yet - he was one of the best. How you look and how you're built isn't the most important factor though is it? It's the mind and courage, the discipline and the consistency, the belief in yourself and the willingness to let God show you what you are capable of accomplishing.

    Good luck on your 18-miler!!

    ReplyDelete