Thursday, November 3, 2011

9 days, phew!

One funny thing that can happen when you register for an event (or book a hotel, or rent a car..) from another country is that sometimes the over-communication that we are used to in USA, doesn't happen. In the Middle East and in Eastern Europe especially we have found that we don't always get the confirmation emails that we would prefer to get. It isn't a criticism, just an observation of cultural difference.

Last March, when I registered for the Athens Classic Marathon, I didn't get a confirmation email. My husband reassured me that a bill appeared on our bank statement, but I always had a nagging doubt in the back of my mind. A part of me believed I would get to Athens, go to the Expo, stand in line at the registration table, get to the front, and find out I am not actually registered. Then I would have to sit on my butt with a $3000 dollar marathon left un-run.

So imagine my relief when I received an email from the Marathon organizers earlier this week soliciting money for charity. I texted my mom and sister a very loud "PHEW!" (if texts can be loud, that is).

This week we are still in the taper and only 9 days away from our race. I have run three 1-hour runs this week and have one more to do - next week is even slower. I am focusing on hydrating, staying healthy, injury free and also spending time with my kiddos. I am usually thrilled to get time away from my boys, but the 10 days away from them is making me anxious and a little melancholy.

My mom seems to have her packing list well underway, and I have taken a step back in that department as my main focus has been preparing the house and the kids for our 10-day absence. I did send a care package to my mom and sis this week and finished the "gift" that we are exchanging at our celebratory, "we-finished-a-marathon-alive" dinner on Monday the 14th.

Tomorrow I am going in for a sports massage and then this weekend is cleaning and packing and a little running! The taper really baffles me I admit. It seems like not running is a bad idea...but if my Runner's World training schedule tells me not to run, then who am I to question?

No comments:

Post a Comment