Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Final Thoughts

I went back to work this week after a vacation that began with me finishing my first-and last-marathon. I finished a marathon! My co-workers all wanted to know "How was it?" I told them all the same thing-it was cold, windy, hilly, awesome, ....

What I didn't tell them is that I don't remember much of the run, not 26.2 miles worth anyway. I know it was cold, my hands were so swollen I thought they were going to explode, my legs were like jelly.. But all of those memories are like background noise. The most vivid memories are these:

The morning of the run I was terrified as we walked to the square to get on the bus. What in the world had I gotten myself into? As I approached the bus, my husband gave his best "win one for the Gipper" speech, "Keep your mind in it and remember that this is something you will carry with you for the rest of your life". Then he took my picture and I got on the bus.

Once on the bus, the three of us had to sit in separate seats. Not long into our ride "Big Sis" turned around and said to me,"You're my hero." Was this the same girl who as an adolescent only ran with me because she knew she would get a smoothie at the end? "Little Sis" who was in the seat behind me said, "I hope we get there pretty soon; it's stinky on this bus."

When we got to our destination, we were handed plastic garbage bags to protect us from the rain. During the two and a half hours we waited, we had plenty of time to find things to laugh about including the man who looked like Pinnochio. We probably should have conserved our energy...

Along the route we heard people say "Bravo Bravo Mom and Little Sis!" (we had those names on our shirts)

At mile 20 I looked over and saw my husband standing on the sidelines. He gave me a kiss and promised to meet me at the finish line.

I guess what I remember most is "Little Sis" never leaving my side even though I knew she could have left me in her dust. When people started dropping out and were getting on the rescue buses, she said, "Do you see those people getting on the bus? That is not going to be you Mom!"

As we entered the Olympic stadium, I saw my husband. I was exhausted, freezing, and near tears. The look on his face is one that I will never forget-later he told me he thought he was going to cry. At that moment, all the training and sacrifice to get there was justified; I was a marathoner! Embracing my two girls at the finish line was amazing! My husband was right; this will stay with me forever....





.

No comments:

Post a Comment