Saturday, November 12, 2011

PR

All three of us are in Greece now! It was a long trip to get here - more than 24 hours of travelling in all but so fun when my mom and I met up in Holland and then met my little sis in the Athens airport!

It is now 2 am in the morning and I have terrible jetlag still after two days here. Somehow I am able to stay awake all day but it isnt helping me sleep at night. I need to officially wake up in 3 hours to get ready to head out to Marathon on the free bus shuttle from Athens.

It has been a fun trip so far filled with lots of good Greek food and culture. My mom, sister and I were talking today about the race though, and how this particular race will most likely not provide us with finish times worth bragging about.

First of all, my little sis is in a different start "block" than my mom and me. That means that she has to start 4-8 minutes up from us, cross the start line with her timing chip (due to the rules of this marathon), and then walk really really slowly until my mom catches up with her - therefore my awesome little sis who is sticking with my mom the entire way, will actually have a slower time than my mom by 4-8 minutes.

Also, the wind here is brutal - we actually almost got knocked off our feet a couple times on top of the Acropolis (I know, you feel so sorry for us, right?) :) It is super strong, gusty and wintery winds - our hope is that they will blow us UP those big hills, but we won't know until we start.

We chose one of the hilliest Marathons in the world. Not an ego booster time from that either.

Something that we did yesterday that you are really not supposed to do, is we toured and walked all over Athens all day until our feet were sore. This is our own fault and please if you want a PR do not follow in our footsteps!

The jetlag thing might not help either, but after writing this blog entry hopefully I will have bored myself back to sleep and all will be well again...

My mom had a great point last night as we were all just sort of hanging out and laughing together. We have not exactly set ourselves up for the fastest marathon times ever here. But since this is each of our alpha marathon (and for my mother, also her omega, according to her...), then each of us, regardless of time, will later today accomplish a Marathon PR for ourselves. And hey, as my hubby says, we will beat out at least 6 billion people in the world by just receiving a marathon time at all. That has to count for something, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment