Saturday, September 17, 2011

Life and Planning

It takes a lot of time and planning to train for a marathon. And sometimes life just doesn't go along with the plan. For instance, last week my husband's schedule was not set. On Saturday I had planned to run a longish run, but he ended up needing to work. So I ran on Sunday, 9 miles and squeezed them in before church and Disneyland (we have passes...to Disneyland, not church). I get two hours of childcare at the Y, but once I drop off my four year old, get outside to run and then cool down, the most I can run is 10 miles in that time. So as a result of life's twists and turns including my middle son's 9th birthday falling on Wednesday, his hookie day and then his sleepover with five friends on Friday night, Marathon training took a bit of a hit. Not a terrible hit, mind you, but just some readjustments. I ended up mostly running 6 mile runs with a couple 9-10 mile runs. Today though, I did 16. Yay! This does bring up the planning bit again, though.

Back in the old days, when I was training for a 10K (6 miles), I really didnt need to do much planning. I could run a couple miles at a time, did not need to carry a meal with me or water or look for a bathroom. All of that is a bit more important when you get to marathon training distances of 10 miles or more. But now I am finding, that I need to do even MORE planning. For instance, if I am running 16 miles, but did not drink enough water the day before, or "carb up" in advance, then I have a harder time on the run. I also need to carve 3 hours out of my day instead of 2 once I am at the 16 plus stage of training. Soon enough it could be 4 hours out of my day.

I do not have enough pairs of "chafe free" shorts and shirts to get me through the week anymore. When every work out is 6 miles or more, the cheap gym clothes that I still possess from college days, just don't cut it. So instead of buying new clothes, I bought "Body Glide" which looks like a stick of deoderant only it costs 10 times more and you rub it all over including your underarms and anywhere else you dont want chafing. I have to say, I used it today and it works! Hooray for planning.

I did forget to have my hand held water bottle (since the belt one from the cheap-o mega store didnt work for me) ready. I couldnt find it and ended up borrowing my four year old's Optimus Prime Transformer Water Bottle. And to be honest, it worked for me. I felt like I kicked butt on todays run. Of course I now have a pain in my butt, and my knees, and feet. Ow.

Since this blog is really partly to journal my experience here is the nitty gritty of the last week - I ran 9 miles, then 10, then 6 with some sprints, then ran 3 uphill and then biked at the gym and read "The Paris Wife." My last long run was almost two weeks ago now and it was my 16 miler with mostly uphills and nearly a 12 minute mile. I walked a mile of that one. Today I ran the entire thing and did it in 10 minute miles so I figure that is pretty good. Granted, I am REALLY sore today, more so than usual. We will see how I feel tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my 17 mile run in next week, and then I think I get a rest week where my longest is only 10. Hard to believe 10 used to be the goal. Hope to hear from my mom and sis on this blog soon, I swear they exist!

Right now I am sitting with ice packs on my knees. Signing off for now. Did I mention that last night my house was full of LOUD 9 year olds? Hoping that might help get me ready for the jet lag I will have in Athens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment