Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Running Recipes and Retrospect

My mom was a runner for most of my childhood, and I know I have her to "thank" for my running habits now. As a youngish "tween" girl, she used to have me join her on runs, either on foot or on my bike. Usually I would whine, and cry, and yell and threaten to go home (pre-pubescent hormones and the obligatory be-mad-at-your-mother reflexes and all...). My mom valued health and wanted me to be active. I was naturally the kid who chain-read books on the couch all summer long - books like Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Choose Your Own Adventure Series (I always read every ending first). In order to get me off the couch, she forced me to go running with her.

My primary role on these runs, of course, was to protect her in case a rabid dog, or a spider, or any other scary creature might come out at her while she was exercising. I guess her thought might have been similar to that of the airplane rule..you know...put on your own gas mask before you put one on your children. She probably figured if I was the one badly maimed in a dog attack, that she would be better able to take care of me after. Or something like that.

The funny thing is, now as a 36 year old woman, I was out running with my mom while visiting up north last month. Some very loud, barky dogs came running out at us, and I was happy to know that after all these years, my role is still very much intact.

Anyhow, the one thing that made running totally worth it for me (or maybe I should say remotely worth it...) were the post-run smoothies and the cold pasta salads that my mom would make when she was putting in the miles. A couple days ago, I had both a smoothie, and a pasta salad on the same day. My boys all love them and I smiled at the thought that even 25 years later, I can still enjoy foods from back then. When I was 11, I was completely unaware of a need to get carbs and protein into my body within 30 minutes of running. I didn't know about carb loading. Maybe my mom did, but all I knew is that the food was yummy and it made me feel good after expending all that energy driving my mother crazy (and running too).

Below are the two recipes I use that are most tied to the past for me. I have made some changes, but not too many. In later posts I will put other favorites I have discovered over the years. But for now, these are a nod to longevity and the memories that can come from a taste.

Smoothie THEN
1 frozen banana
1 container fruit yogurt
1 cup OJ
Blend and drink!

Smoothie UPDATED
1 frozen banana
1 cup Greek Yogurt, plain
1/2-1 cup frozen or fresh fruit - mangos, strawberries, blueberries, etc
3/4 cup OJ
(sometimes a scoop of vanilla protein powder)
Blend and drink!

PASTA SALAD
(the only difference is the type of pasta)
Whole wheat pasta noodles - rotini, spaghetti, whatever
chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and green onion
low fat mozzerella sticks cut up
favorite Italian salad dressing added to taste (I like bernsteins from Costco)
cook pasta, rinse under cold water, mix with the rest and enjoy!

You can add any veggies you want - I added roasted eggplant and some parsley the other day and sometimes garbanzo beans too.

These are not scientific but are easy and good and have stood the test of time. Heres to passing on a healthy legacy to our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment